Functional Skills Mathematics, Levels 1 & 2
Course Duration: 2 Years
Guided Learning: Minimum 4 hours
Course Location: KingslandStotfold
Who is the course for?
This course covers and develops a range of skills that are designed to provide life skills for all students, both in terms of mathematical ability for the work place and for social and domestic skills more widely conceived.
Functional skills mathematics concentrates on practical mathematics that is able to apply maths in the world.
What will I learn?
- Understand and use whole numbers and understand negative numbers in practical contexts.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers using a range of strategies.
- Understand and use equivalences between common fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Use simple formulae expressed in words for one or two-step operations.
- Solve problems requiring calculation, with common measures, including money, time, length, weight, capacity and temperature.
- Convert units of measure in the same system.
- Work out areas and perimeters in practical situations.
- Construct geometric diagrams, models and shapes.
- Extract and interpret information from tables, diagrams, charts and graphs.
- Collect and record discrete data and organise and represent information in different ways.
- Find mean and range.
- Use data to assess the likelihood of an outcome.
How will I be assessed?
Students will be assessed by their class teacher during the course and will be assessed formally at the end of the course by means of a 1 hour 30 minute exam, either online or by written paper.
What can I do after the course?
The course prepares students for further study (Level 1 is equivalent to half a GCSE grade D/E, Level 2 is equivalent to half a GCSE grade B).
- Level 1 and 2 are accepted as the required mathematical skills necessary for many college courses.
- Both courses provide vital skills for all students after school.