City & Guilds Award Certificate or Diploma in Hospitality and Catering
Course Duration: 1-2 Years
Guided Learning: Minimum 3 hours per week
Course Location: KingslandStotfold
Who is the course for?
This course is suitable for anyone who wishes to know more about catering, either as a career path or simply to learn basic cooking and nutrition skills.
Studying in a fully equipped professional catering kitchen, students need have little or no previous experience as they will be taught the full range of skills from a basic level to a professional standard. All aspects of the catering industry are covered including basic food hygiene, front of house skills and customer service.
What will I learn?
This course is designed to teach students all aspects of the catering industry. As well as cookery to a professional level, front of house operations, customer service, food and drink service and event management topics are also covered. Students will be given the opportunity to work within the industry representing the school at functions locally and in work experience placements. It is possible to tailor the course to the students’ interests and abilities and also includes units that cover interview techniques, applying for jobs and courses, compiling a cv and workplace skills.
Lessons are taught in a fully equipped professional kitchen and all aspects of food hygiene and cooking techniques are covered so no previous experience is necessary. Students will cover cooking for health, special diets, food on a budget, large and small scale catering and meal planning and preparation.
- Food safety and kitchen hygiene
- Hazard analysis and kitchen safety
- Quick healthy snacks and meals on a budget
- Hot and cold food preparation and service
- Cooking for special occasions
- Introduction to pastry and cake preparation and cooking methods
- Communication and team work skills in a catering environment
- Introduction to personal workplace skills
- Preparing for a career in the hospitality industry
- Devising, planning and costing menus for parties and events
- Understanding what food is used for by the body and what constitutes a healthy diet
- Healthy eating and nutrition
- Event planning and marketing skills
How will I be assessed?
Students are assessed internally through practical observation tasks evidenced by photographs and witness statements, written assessments and the building of a portfolio. You may also be able to take part in practical placements throughout the course.
What can I do after the course?
- Gain access to further education
- Further Hospitality and Catering courses
- Diploma in Professional Cookery
- Gain employment or an apprenticeship in the catering or hospitality industry
- Enter further education at a Level 2 standard